It’s Wednesday and that means it’s time for another Fall Favorite! Today Erica is here sharing her recipe for an Indian Potato and Spinach soup that is sure to warm you on the coldest fall evening and paired with some fresh from the oven bread and a glass of your favorite drink dinner will be perfect.
I hope that you’re enjoying this series and finding some delicious recipes to try out. Remember… if you’re interested in sharing one of your own fall favorite here just let me know.
Erica Voll is a freelance writer, blogger, marketing maven, content creator and social media consultant. She writes a parenting blog, No Sleep ’til College, and is co-founder of Girls’ Lunch Out. Erica rarely sleeps. Connect with Erica on Twitter,YouTube, Facebook, and Google+.
There are days when I think I might as well cook an elaborate meal, and throw it directly in the trash because inevitably, my kids and husband will hate it.
On a scale of 1 to 10 with “1” being “Ick, gross, I’m calling for take-out” and a “10” being “Make this again!” I’ve observed the following:
- 30 seconds to throw chicken fingers in the oven + 5 minutes to heat up canned corn + 1 minute to scoop applesauce on a plate = 10
- 60 minutes chopping, searing, boiling and simmering for a chicken dinner = 5
- 90 minutes chopping, boiling, cleaning, clearing, plating, topping and serving pork chops, homemade mashed potatoes, fresh brussels sprouts = 1
Look, I am not a foodie. I do not “enjoy” cooking, nor do I enjoy the prep and clean-up that comes with cooking. But I the thought of Indian potato soup just kind of warmed my soul one chilly fall day…
So I thought I would take a chance and make it for my family.
So, this weekend, when I dared to bust out the Indian spices and create a pot of soup, I knew I was treading in dangerous waters. This conversation foreshadowed what happened…
“The kids will never eat that,” said my husband.
“How do you know??” I asked.
“Erica, the kids will not eat Indian food,” he replied.
Well, he was sort of right. My almost-4-year-old told me she didn’t like the way it smelled, and my 18-month-old ate it up. My husband hated it, and I loved it.
I loved it so much, in fact, I wanted to share the recipe with you.
Indian Potato Spinach Soup with Chicken
Serves: 1. Your family will hate it, and you will be forced to eat it for a week because you made it from scratch, damnit!
- 2 tsp canola or corn oil
- 2 medium size chicken breast halves, diced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds ( I used sesame seeds since I didn’t have caraway seeds)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 TBSP curry powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups coarsely chopped potatoes (about 2 large)
- 1 10 ounce thawed spinach
- Over medium heat in large pot, combine oil, chicken, onion and caraway seeds. Cook, stirring frequently until onion is limp and browns (about 5 minutes)
- Add garlic and cook one minute longer.
- Stir in coriander, curry and cardamom, cook for additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Adjust heat so it simmers.
- Cook until potatoes are tender
- Add spinach, tomatoes. Simmer 10 minutes
Per cup: 187 cals 2.7 g fat, 15 g of protein
Sounds delicious, right?