It was a miracle…

shower head
Image via Wikipedia

Today a true miracle occurred. I was able to actually take a shower alone! Now to me that means there was nobody yelling “MOM”, knocking on the bathroom door, and most important of all my little guy wasn’t in there opening and closing the shower doors, soaking the floor and himself.

I think I was in there for at least 20 minutes. And here’s probably the second best part…. I was actually able to take the time to shave my legs. Yes, you heard me right. Shave my legs. It had been a while. Trust me it wasn’t pretty.

When you’re in a hurry and have everyone and their brother needing something from you,  just getting the shower is a miracle. All I know is for that alone, today was a good day.


On another note, sickness sucks; big time. I swear that no matter what I do, how much I clean, or how many vitamins I cram down my families throat, they get sick. And they don’t just get your run of the mill sniffles or cold. Oh no, not here. Strep, mono, fevers, pink eye, and illnesses without names are what they get. This has just not been our year.

It all started in late fall. My oldest– Caitlin– got strep throat again; for the 3rd or 4th time this year so they finally decided to take her tonsils out. Yeah, that was fun.

So the week she was to get her tonsils out, Natalie got sick. I took her to the doctor and she had mono. How in the world does an 11 yr old get mono?? I’m still pondering that one.

Okay so we get past the mono & tonsillectomy. Fast forward to Christmas Eve. The youngest– Andrew– comes down with a fever and super snotty nose. We ended up taking him to urgent care and his first prescription. All I know was he was the fussiest baby in the world. Nothing made him happy and I spend many nights sleeping on the couch holding him on my chest.

But something wasn’t right. He just didn’t seem to be getting better and after a bit of research and a call to the doctor we came the conclusion that he was having an allergic reaction to the medication. I’m happy to say that once we stopped medication #1, started #2, and a day or so passed he was back to normal. Everything was right as rain!

This is where it gets fun. The husband comes home thinking something is in his eye. I clean it out (yes I touched it & I’m pretty sure this is how I got pink eye) and make sure there’s nothing in there.  It all went downhill after this. He managed to get pink eye in both eyes and strep throat. I can honestly say that he was worse than the baby, because men don’t deal well with being sick.

And now I too have been graced with this incredible illness. Pink eye & strep throat. Thankfully, I caught the pink eye early and started taking the same eye drops as the husband and since I don’t have tonsils (thank you parents) strep isn’t that bad for me.

Oh, Caitlin is sick now too. Same as the husband which is strep but minus the tonsil so at least her throat isn’t killing her.

Something has to give. Soon. Please.


I have to say that this was a holiday season to remember. Not one of those fun ones that you remember fondly though. More like the Christmas that totally sucked.

On the upside, my house is super clean and was aired out when the weather here in Michigan hit mid-50’s in January! And now we have Andrew’s first birthday to look forward to at the end of the month!